Thursday, August 7, 2008

Stretching the Limits of a Definition

Salsa can be almost anything, right? So long as everything's chopped small and is able to be scooped with a corn chip and it has a little citrus accent, right? Okay so some purists may argue with my liberal definition of salsa but I say it's summer, and fruits and vegetables are fresh and plentiful and I am looking for every excuse to consume them and new ways to combine them. Last weekend I had the pleasure of traveling to MIchigan in the height of blueberry season. I heard they grow the "best blueberries in the U S of A" up there and I love picking and eating my food straight off the vine/tree/shrub what have you. Naturally, I attacked those bushes with the force of a hibernation-hungry grizzly bear and returned home like a proud mama with a bag of blueberries the size of radio dials or volume knobs (choose your own comparison). I wanted to make something that was fresh and really let the blueberries speak for themselves and I didn't have room in the freezer for another batch of sorbet (oh the burden!) so I decided to make a fruit salsa. I chopped some kiwi, a little granny smith for crunch and tang, squeezed in some honey, lime and a little grated ginger too. The result was a fresh sweet tangy spicy salsa that required a rather large chip and a good deal of balance (to keep the blueberries from rolling onto the porch). I bet it would be really good with a simple chihuahua cheese quesedilla or scooped on to a spinach salad with gorgonzola.



Blueberry-Kiwi Salsa (you can call it a relish if you want)

2 kiwis, chopped 
1/2 granny smith apple, chopped rather small
1 cup fresh blueberries
1/2 thai hot chili chopped very fine
1 tsp. fresh ginger, grated
1Tbs honey
2 Tbs fresh lime juice

1. Gently mix all ingredients. Allow to chill in the fridge for an hour or so for the flavors to combine. Serve with big crunchy chips!



No comments: