Thursday, February 4, 2010

Preserved Lemon and Green Olive Relish





Until I found instructions on how to make quick preserved lemons I had always written them off as a pantry luxury item. I had a feeling that even if I could find them at the international grocery they wouldn't be as good as if I made them myself and I just have not had the time or piles of lemons required to make them as of yet. Preserved lemons add a delicious salty/citrus kick to middle eastern food; they are superbly strong and best when chopped fine, minus the pulp, which tends to get a bit slimy in the fermentation process.
Mix them into some thick yogurt to dollop on vegetables and couscous and spicy soups, or stir them together with fresh parsley, chopped olives and mint to use as a relish for fish, chicken, or tofu, as I did recently (my fish was mahi-mahi, my tangled green side dish was broccoli rabe- a complete meal- yay!)


Green Olive and Preserved Lemon Relish

(note: this recipe makes a pretty small batch, as I am only on person with one fillet to top. You can easily double or triple the recipe to suit your dinner)

1/4 cup cracked green olives, pitted and chopped
2 Tbs. preserved lemon, chopped fine
2-3 Tbs. each fresh parsley and mint, chopped
fresh lemon juice
olive oil

Mix all ingredients in a small bowl, add a drizzle of olive oil and just a twist or two of cracked pepper.

Quick Preserved Lemons
1 whole lemon, organic preferably, since you will be eating the peel
kosher salt

Thoroughly wash the lemon with cleanser of your choice (I treat it like a dish, using dishsoap and a scrub pad).
Slice both ends off the lemon, set aside. Slice lemon into very thin rounds, layer in a small bowl with generous sprinkles of salt between each layer, squeeze the juice from the lemon ends onto the slices. Cover and refrigerate for 20-30 minutes. Done!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

yummm!